Gibson House

    Gibson House

    The Gibson House Museum is a remarkably intact Victorian row house on Beacon Street in Boston’s Back Bay. Built in 1859–1860 as one of the first homes in the newly filled Back Bay district, it was occupied by three generations of the Gibson family. The last resident, the eccentric poet Charles Hammond Gibson Jr., preserved the house as a time capsule and arranged for it to become a museum, which opened in 1957.

    Stepping inside is like walking into a sealed Gilded Age interior: original wallpaper, furnishings, kitchen, and servants’ quarters survive largely untouched, offering an unusually authentic look at upper-middle-class Boston domestic life. The brownstone-and-brick townhouse is typically experienced by guided tour, which brings the rooms and family stories to life. Check the museum’s official website for current tour schedules, days of operation, and admission before visiting.

    Good to know

    • An exceptionally well-preserved 1860 Victorian row house in the Back Bay, museum since 1957
    • Interiors, furnishings, and servants’ areas survive largely intact from the Gibson family era
    • Generally seen by guided tour rather than self-guided wandering
    • Confirm tour times, open days, and admission on the official site before visiting

    Getting there

    • Address: 137 Beacon Street, Boston, MA 02116
    • Neighborhood: Back Bay
    • Nearest T: Arlington (Green Line) is closest; Charles/MGH (Red Line) is also within walking distance